Mathematical Biosciences Institute
at The Ohio State University
Jennings Hall, Room 380
1735 Neil Ave
Columbus, OH 43212, USA
, Brown Applied Mathematics
: Modeling Intracellular Transport during Messenger RNA Localization in Xenopus
: Björn Sandstede
, Brown Applied Mathematics
and French, Duke University (2012)
Sigma Xi Award from the Division of Applied Mathematics at Brown University, May 2017
Recent BioPhysical Journal article on FRAP featured in Brown News and Brown Graduate School News, April 2017
Honorable Mention Award in the AWM Poster Competition at the 2016 SIAM Annual Meeting (one winner and one honorable mention), July 2016
SIAM Student Chapter Certificate of Recognition, May 2016
Reginald D. Archambault Award for Teaching Excellence: First Prize for Excellence in Summer Session Education, November 2015
Red Sock Award for Best Poster Presentation at the SIAM Conference on Dynamical Systems and Applications, May 2015
I have recently (May 2017) graduated with a PhD in Applied Mathematics from the Division of Applied Mathematics
at Brown University. My research interests include mathematical biology (particularly mechanisms of intracellular transport) and dynamical systems. My thesis research with Professor Björn Sandstede
has focused on modeling of messenger RNA (mRNA) localization in Xenopus (frog) oocytes.
Our work has been a close collaboration with the Mowry Lab
in the Department of Molecular Biology, Cell Biology and Biochemistry at Brown.
Upcoming Activities and Talks
July-August, 2017: Summer SDE Working Group with the Stochastics Lab at Tulane University (remotely).
Past Activities and Talks
Invited and Conference Talks
- July 17-20, 2017: Invited Talk at the SMB Annual Meeting, Minisymposium on Modeling of Molecular Motor Systems (July 20th), at University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
- May 21-25, 2017: Invited Talk at the SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, MS58 on Waves and Patterns (May 22nd), at Snowbird, UT.
- May 16, 2017: Invited Talks on FRAP parameter estimation and numerical methods to simulate mRNA transport at the Molecular Motors Meeting at Penn State University, State College, PA.
- April 20, 2017: Seminar Talk in the Department of Mathematics at Creighton University.
- October 19th, 2016: Invited talk at the Probability and Stochastics Seminar at Tulane University.
- October 4th, 2016: Invited talk at the Mathematics Department at Bates College.
- September 22nd, 2016: Invited talk at the SIAM Chapter at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- July 11-14, 2016: Talk and Minisymposium organizer at the SIAM Conference on the Life Sciences, held in Boston, MA.
- November 17, 2015: Invited Talk at Brown/BU Joint Dynamics and PDE Seminar, held at Boston University.
Contributed and Local Talks
- March 4, 2017: Contributed Talk at WINRS, AWM New England Mathematical Meeting, in Providence, RI.
- January 4-7, 2017: Presentation at the Joint Mathematics Meetings, AMS Session for Contributed Papers on Mathematical Biology (I, January 6th), in Atlanta, GA.
- November 4th, 2016: Talk at the Brown SIAM Chapter Math Slam.
- October 17th, 2016: Talk at the Applied Math Graduate Seminar at Brown University.
- August 8-11, 2016: Poster Presentation at the SIAM Conference on Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures, held in Philadelphia, PA.
- July 11-15, 2016: Poster Presentation at the AWM Workshop, held in conjunction with the SIAM Annual Meeting in Boston, MA.
- June 1-3, 2016: Poster presentation at the Conference on Analysis of PDEs using Dynamical Systems Techniques, held at Boston University.
- April 23-24, 2016: Poster presentation at the KUMU Conference on PDE, Dynamical Systems, and Applications, held at University of Missouri.
- April 1-2, 2016: Research Talk at the Applied Math Days, held at RPI.
- January 18-22, 2016: Poster Presentation at the Opening Workshop for the Stochastic Dynamical Systems in Biology: Numerical Methods and Applications Program, held at the Isaac Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK.
- November 13, 2015: Math Slam Talk at Workshop on Integrating Dynamics and Stochastics for undergraduate students interested in graduate school from across the US, held at Brown University.
- October 6, 2015: Talk at the Applied Math Graduate Seminar at Brown University.
- May 17-21, 2015: Poster presentation at the SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, held in Snowbird, UT.
Poster won the Red Sock Award (SIAG/Dynamical Systems) for best poster presentation. More information and the poster can be found here.
- April 10-11, 2015: Talk at Applied Math Days, held at RPI.
- March 21-22, 2015: Talk at the Workshop on Agent-Based Modeling at Brown University (organizer with Alexandria Volkening and John Gemmer).
Workshops and Programs
- June 26-28, 2017: NIMBioS Tutorial on Uncertainty Quantification for Biological Models at University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN.
- May 21, 2017: Co-organizer of MS on Modeling of intracellular transport and cell organization (MS11, MS23) at the SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, at Snowbird, UT.
- May 15-19, 2017: Molecular Motors Meeting at Penn State University, State College, PA.
- April 20-23, 2017: Short-term visit to continue Mathematics Research Communities workshop work on modeling blood loss in the cardiovascular system at Creighton University.
- August 15-19, 2016: TA for GirlsGetMath @ ICERM: Summer Math Camp for High School Girls, Providence, RI.
- June 20-August 12, 2016: Volunteer TA for Summer @ ICERM: 2016 Undergraduate Summer Research Program on Dynamics and Stochastics, Providence, RI (3-4 weeks).
- June 19-25, 2016: Mathematics Research Communities (MRC) Workshop on Mathematics in Physiology and Medicine, Snowbird, UT.
- June 13-17, 2016: Mathematical Problems in Industry (MPI) Workshop, held at Duke University.
- February 25-28, 2016: Short-term visit to continue work on the kidney autoregulation project at NIMBioS, University of Tennessee.
- August 5-14, 2015: Mathematical Modeling in Industry Workshop for Graduate Students at the IMA, University of Minnesota.
- June 22-25, 2015: A Research Collaboration Workshop for Women in Mathematical Biology at NIMBioS, University of Tennessee, as part of the Blood Flow Autoregulation in the Kidney project lead by Anita Layton and Aurelie Edwards. More information about the workshop can be found in the AWM Newsletter.
- September 15-19, 2014: BU/Keio Workshop on Dynamical Systems, held at Boston University.
- May 24-30, 2014: Workshop on Stability of Solitary Waves, held at Centro de Giorgi, Pisa
- Graduate student member
- Graduate student member
- member of the Brown University Chapter
Society for Mathematical Biology
Rose Whelan Society for Women in Math at Brown University
Phi Beta Kappa