Visiting Providence: Transportation, Restaurants, and Sights
- Providence T. F. Green International Airport (PVD)
T. F. Green is the main airport servicing the Providence metropolitan area.
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
Logan Airport is an alternate airport, approximately an hour away from Providence.
Directions to Providence from TF Green
- TF Green is 20 minutes away from Providence in normal traffic. Directions are available here. Parking is provided at the Hampton Inn for an extra fee per day.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Hotel Shuttle
- For those staying at the Hampton Inn & Suites Providence, there is a free airport shuttle to and from the hotel, based on availability. Please reserve ahead by calling: 401-608-3500.
- Providence Area Taxis
- Time: Allow 20 minutes for normal traffic, 45 minutes during rush hour
Cost: Approximately $30-35 one way.
|Airport Express Direct
- MBTA Commuter Rail (train)
- The MBTA commuter rail service from TF Green Providence airport is only available on weekdays. To get from the airport to downtown Providence, check the schedule here. Search inbound, weekday/weekend depending on when traveling.
Directions to Providence from Boston Logan
- MBTA Commuter Rail (train)
- From your arrival terminal at Boston Logan, follow the signs to the Silver Line bus. Once at the stop, board the bus for free and get off at the last stop, which is South Station, a hub for transportation in Boston. Follow the directions to Commuter Rail, and check the train schedule here (make sure you sort by Outbound and either weekday or Saturday/Sunday depending on when you’re traveling). You can buy your tickets at the Commuter rail counters for $10.5 (one way), or on the train for $13. The trip takes about an hour and 10 minutes. Once at the Providence train station, the Hampton Inn is a 10 minute walk away, or there are cabs parked in front of the station (as well as the taxi options outlined above).
- Amtrak (train)
- Follow the same directions as for the MBTA Commuter Rail to get to South Station. Look up the train schedule from Boston South Station to Providence here, and get your ticket at the Amtrak ticket counter (or in advance from their website). The Amtrak will take you to the same train station in Providence as the commuter rail, but is a bit more expensive.
- Peter Pan bus
- The bus leaves from directly in front of each terminal. You can check the schedule and reserve a ticket here. A one-way ticket is about $20, and it leaves you at the Providence Downtown Station (Kennedy Plaza Transportation System), which is a 5 minute walk from the Hampton Inn.
- Driving times can vary between 1 and 2 hours depending on traffic in Boston; directions are available here. Parking is provided at the Hampton Inn for an extra fee.
Directions from the Hampton Inn to campus
- Walking from the Hampton Inn to campus takes 15-20 minutes. To get to the Applied Math Department at 182 George Street, head northeast on Weybosset Street toward Delta St, turn right onto Westminster St and cross the bridge. Continue onto College St, then turn right toward George St through the Brown University Main Green. Turn left onto George St for 2 and a half blocks and the Applied Math building will be the castle-looking one on the left.
- To take the bus to Brown campus, first head to Kennedy Plaza Transportation Center. Head northeast on Weybosset St toward Delta St, continue onto Exchange St and turn left onto Fulton St/Kennedy Plaza. Here, you can take buses 1, 35, 78 and 92 which will take 5 minutes to Thayer Street. At the Tunnel and Thayer stop, Turn right onto Thayer St and then left onto George St. The Applied Math building will be a block and a half away on the left.
- Driving to Brown Campus will take 5 minutes. Directions are available here. Parking is a little tricky: free parking is available along many streets around the Division of Applied Math, but the time limits posted (usually two hours) are strictly enforced. Visitor parking passes are also available for Brown Lot 57 located at 75 Charlesfield St. If you plan on driving from the hotel, please let one of the organizers know in advance if you would like a parking pass.
Restaurants and Sights
ICERM provides a thorough list of area restaurants and sights here. Most restaurants near Brown are located on Thayer St.